The Connected Homes program from Holyoke Gas & Electric (“HG&E”) opens HG&E’s distributed energy resource (“DER”) platform to customers who purchase and install compatible Level 2 home chargers (“equipment”) in their home. Customers will have the opportunity to earn HG&E bill credits and up front incentives by allowing HG&E shared access to Equipment to maximize its value for all HG&E customers by reducing costs at “peak” times, and exploring the ability to control Equipment to achieve other forms of wholesale value. The Connected Homes program allows customers to participate in HG&E’s grid transformation efforts with their own Equipment and receive credits for doing so, while also helping to drive down costs for all HG&E customers.
Below are important terms that you must understand and agree to in order to participate in the program. Application of these terms is dependent on the Connected Homes program that you have selected through the enrollment process to participate in. Customers who opt into this program will receive a Monthly Bill Credit – Level 2 Charger. Customers who opt in will also have the option to receive one of the following: a free Level 2 home charger (customers without existing Level 2 home charger) or a $450 rebate (customers with existing Level 2 home charger). See below for more details.
1. Eligibility: All HG&E Residential customers are eligible to participate. You must also be the owner of an account address and have eligible Equipment at that address. Customer’s account must be in good standing with HG&E (6-12 month history of satisfactory payments).
2. Access for HG&E: To participate, you must allow HG&E, or its qualified third-party contractor, access to control your Equipment. This means that you are responsible to have (1) a working and reliable internet connection with Wi-Fi network enabled and other related equipment in your home that is positioned to communicate reliably with the Equipment; (2) an internet service provider (“ISP”); and (3) other system elements that may be specified as required by HG&E or the manufacturer of any required equipment (i.e. smart phone apps). You are responsible for all fees charged by the ISP and the Equipment manufacturer if and where applicable, in connection with participation in the Connected Homes program.
Customers with Existing Level 2 Home Chargers: If Equipment is not compatible with HG&E’s third-party contractor’s software and is unable to access the Equipment, HG&E will require Customer to provide other means of proof to verify Off-Peak Charging Schedule is being met. For more detail on the Off-Peak Charging Schedule and alternative proof, see paragraphs 5 and 13(B)(ii) below. HG&E may require this alternative method of proof in the case that its third-party contractor is unable to gain access at the time of execution of the Agreement. HG&E may schedule third-party to configure control software with eligible Equipment at a later time.
3. Access Disruption: In the event that HG&E is unable to communicate with the equipment and communication or access is not restored within 30 days’ after notice from HG&E, monthly bill credits will cease or this Agreement will be terminated in accordance with Paragraph 10. A monthly bill credit Customer may opt back into the program if communication or access is restored at a future date, and the Customer pays a $15 reconnection fee. In those circumstances, Monthly Bill Credits will thereafter resume. Reconnection as provided herein may only happen once annually.
4. Control of Equipment: You acknowledge that: 1) you will schedule Level 2 charging to occur only during the Off-Peak Charging Schedule defined in paragraph 5 below which may be updated within 30 days advanced notice from HG&E from time to time, and 2) HG&E will control the equipment in your home, if capable, and agree that HG&E may access and control your equipment during Peak Events. A “Peak Event” is defined as a period of time in which HG&E will make necessary changes to the equipment, or notify Customer to make changes, further defined in the Off-Peak Charging Schedule in paragraph 5 below. Peak Events occurring within the Off-Peak Charging Schedule are anticipated to occur an average of 2 to 5 times per year for an average of 3 to 6 hours at a time. Customers will only be sent notification of an emergency Peak Event via preferred electronic method or receive a push notification from the ChargePoint app, at least 4 hours in advance.
5. Off-Peak Charging Schedule: Customer agrees to only charge their electric vehicle using Level 2 charging rating during the following hours:
- 9:00 p.m. through 7:00 a.m. Monday-Friday, and anytime on weekends
Outside of the above hours, the charger will not be used to charge to the vehicle at the higher Level 2, approximately 7.7 kW charging output. Customer may reduce charger to a Level 1 charging rating outside of the above hours, which is approximately 1.25 kW, or similar to plugging into a standard 120V outlet if this is an available function.
Emergency and/or Other Peak Situations (Peak Event): Customer agrees to allow emergency curtailment of the charger during Peak Event periods of high stress on the electrical distribution system within the hours defined above. During emergency curtailment hours, the charger will be capable of outputting only ~1.25 kW, as opposed to the higher Level 2 ~7.7 kW charging output. HG&E anticipates this to happen around 2 to 5 times per year. For customers with existing Level 2 home chargers, a notification of the Peak Event will be sent to the Customer via preferred electronic method as selected below. Customers failing to curtail during these emergency Peak Events will not be considered Opting Out, however Customer will not receive a Monthly Bill Credit per paragraph 12 below.
7. Acknowledgment of Customer: You acknowledge and agree that HG&E will control the Equipment installed in your home. If Customer owns Equipment that is not capable of HG&E access and control, Customer agrees to conform to the Off-Peak Charging Schedule as defined in paragraph 5. You acknowledge that you remain responsible for maintenance, repair and replacement of the Equipment.
8. Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Monitoring: HG&E reserves the right to monitor and verify that the Customer is following the Off-Peak Charging Schedule as defined in paragraph 5, which is made available through the AMI system.
9. Enrollment & Term: This Agreement shall commence upon your enrollment and shall continue for a period of three years (the “Initial Term”), renewing annually after the Initial Term unless terminated in accordance with paragraph 10.
10. Termination: Either party may terminate this Agreement within the Initial Term by providing the other party 30 days’ written notice of termination. Upon termination, customers will no longer receive the Monthly Bill Credit.
If Customer terminates Agreement within Initial Term, Customer will be charged a one-time pro-rated fee on the Customer’s next monthly utility bill in the amount of $12.50 per month remaining within the Initial Term. Either party may terminate this Agreement during any renewal period upon providing the other party 30 day’s written notice of termination, upon which no further obligations are required of either party. Closing a Customer account will be considered terminating this agreement, unless the Agreement is Assigned to another party within HG&E territory and will accept the terms of this Agreement per paragraph 11.
11. Change in Home Ownership: You acknowledge that you are required to own the premises where the equipment is installed. By signing below, you represent that you own the premises where the Equipment is installed. You agree to provide HG&E with 30 days advance written notice of a sale of the home where the equipment is installed. In the event of a sale, you may choose to terminate this Agreement in accordance with paragraph 10, or if the parties agree, the new owner may assume this Agreement in writing. You are responsible for providing HG&E with an executed Assignment and assumption agreement, in a form provided by or acceptable to HG&E for our records.
Assignments that attempt to relieve you from responsibility for sums incurred prior to the sale are not permitted. Sale or transfer of the Equipment to a third party who has not assumed this agreement shall constitute automatic termination of this Agreement, and in that case, monthly incentives shall cease and you will be billed for any up-front incentive on a pro-rated basis consistent with paragraph 10.
12. Monthly Bill Credit Terms
Level 2 Chargers: The Connected Homes program offers a Monthly Bill Credit of $10.00 to customers who enroll an eligible Level 2 Charger in the program. Customers may opt out of Off-Peak Charging Schedule and/or Peak Event from paragraph 5; however, forego the monthly bill credit for that month. If Customer opts out per paragraph 5 in three out of the twelve months, this Agreement will be terminated per paragraph 10. The Monthly Bill Credit will take effect in the first full billing month after the Customer has signed this Agreement and HG&E has verified conditions of this Agreement have been met.
13. One Time Upfront Incentive Terms:
A. Level 2 Home Charger (Customer Without Existing Level 2 Charger): HG&E agrees to provide one (1) Level 2 Wi-Fi-equipped home charger (ChargePoint Home Model, a $600 value) per residential metered Customer with proof of ownership of an EV, capable of ~7.7 kW maximum output to the address on the Customer utility account shown below subject to the Terms of this Agreement. The intention of this program is to provide one and only one Level 2 charger per household. Multifamily homes, townhouses or other dwellings with separate individual meters may be eligible for separate chargers. Renters must provide proof of approval for installation of a Level 2 charger from the property owner/landlord to be eligible to participate in this program.
i. Proof of EV Purchase: Customer will provide proof of EV purchase.
ii. Installation: Customer agrees, upon receipt of the EV charger, to have installation performed by a licensed electrician and inspection within 30 days of electrical permit issue at the sole cost of the Customer. HG&E may request proof of electric permit. Installation must be within range of the Customer’s home Wi-Fi.
iii. ChargePoint Warranty: All chargers are provided with a limited 3 year manufacturer’s warranty from ChargePoint, which shall be transferable directly to the Customer. Operations, warranty and technical issues associated with the charge shall be reported to HG&E, but shall be the responsibility of the Customer and Equipment manufacturer. HG&E is not responsible for warranties and guarantees of any kind, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
B. Level 2 Home Charger (Customer With Existing Level 2 Charger): HG&E agrees to provide to the residential Customer one-time rebate of $450 for the purchase of an Electric Vehicle (EV) and the installation of a smart Level 2 charger at the Customer residence. Rebate will be in the form of a one-time bill credit to occur on the bill effect in the first full billing month after the Customer has signed this Agreement and HG&E has verified conditions of this Agreement have been met.
i. Proof of EV and Charger Purchase: Customer will provide proof of EV purchase along with proof of Level 2 Charger purchase or installation. If there is no way to provide proof of Level 2 charger purchase or installation, HG&E should be able to determine if a Level 2 charger exists through its AMI system. If it is still not able to determine the existence of a Level 2 charger, scheduling an appointment with an HG&E representative is required for verification.
ii. Proof of Off-Peak Charging Schedule: Customer will also provide proof of Off-Peak Charging Schedule with this application. Required Off-Peak Charging Schedule can be found in paragraph 5. An example of proof of Off-Peak Charging Schedule could be in the form of a screenshot from a smartphone app or picture of the schedule on the EV internal dashboard.
14. Application of Monthly Bill Credits, Upfront Incentive & Monthly Fee: Monthly Bill Credits will be applied to your HG&E utility bill. Bill credits from this program are not interchangeable or applicable to other bill credit programs. Upfront incentives will either be applied to the Customer’s month bill, or will be mailed out in the form of a check within approximately 6 weeks of HG&E confirming the functionality of the installed system.
15. Liability: HG&E shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special or consequential damages to any persons or property resulting from or arising out of any use, repair, delay in repairing, replacement of, modification to, unavailability of, or charging status of the Equipment. HG&E is not responsible for any costs related to the repair, maintenance or replacement of your Equipment. If replacement of your Equipment is necessary, you must notify HG&E.
16. Indemnification: You shall indemnify and hold harmless HG&E for any injury or damage to any persons or property arising from HG&E’s access and use of the Equipment, or caused by any breach of this Agreement by you, your negligence or that of your household members, agents, servants, employees, tenants, licensees, invitees, tenant’s invitees, or independent contractors.17. Notice: The Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Customer agrees that HG&E may change, add to and delete from the terms and conditions of this Agreement. This can happen at any time after the end of the first full month of the Agreement, with HG&E providing Customer with 30 days written notice of the change. If Customer does not notify HG&E that the Customer is terminating the Agreement at least 30 days before the effective date of the change, Customer will have agreed to the change. No change will be effective unless accepted or authorized by HG&E in writing.
HG&E and Customer intend for this Agreement to be a final expression and a complete and exclusive statement of the terms of their Agreement, superseding all prior Agreements and understandings, whether written or oral. No delay or omission by either party in exercising any right under this Agreement shall operate as a waiver of that or any other right. If any provision of the Agreement is invalid, such provision shall be deemed omitted, but the remaining provisions of the Agreement shall be given full force and effect. All notices hereunder shall be provided to HG&E at 99 Suffolk Street, Holyoke, MA 01040 and to Customer at the address below.
18. Miscellaneous: Equipment eligibility is at the sole discretion of HG&E. Equipment that is enrolled in other HG&E tariff or incentive programs is not eligible. A single piece of Equipment can be enrolled in an up-front incentive program and the monthly credit program.
By completing the connected homes application, I agree that I have read and understand the above Terms of this Agreement.