HG&E is a municipal utility, which means that we are not-for-profit and owned by the community we serve – Holyoke. Unlike private utilities, we do not answer to shareholders thousands of miles away. Instead, we answer to you, our ratepayer. Here are some reasons why a municipal utility is the best choice for Holyoke:
- We operate in the public interest – for the benefit of the residents and businesses in the City of Holyoke. Our focus is on providing you with excellent service instead of making a profit.
- Our employees live in the community, and many are HG&E customers themselves. If a customer has a complaint, he or she can discuss the problem locally, with another member of the community, and be assured that the problem will be addressed.
- Local ownership means that a good portion of our customers’ energy dollars stay in the community – creating jobs and supporting the local community.
- Our rates and services are controlled locally. This enables us to make decisions and provide services that specifically reflect the values of, and benefit the community.
- We provide our customers with low-carbon energy at some of the lowest rates in Massachusetts.
- Our low energy rates and commercial financial incentives serve to attract and retain commercial.
- We make Payments in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) to the City. In fact, last year, we paid the City $1,080,940 in PILOT.